Alta Gracia Newz


April 7, 2010

White Laundry

White Laundry. I never really gave white laundry much thought until I moved to Alta Gracia.
Living in New York City, many brownstone buildings and old apartment houses do not have washing machines and dryers on the premises.
 The only other alternative one has, is to walk several blocks to the closest laundromat and do it yourself or drop it off at the dry cleaners and have them wash your laundry. I remember dropping off my weekly laundry at Kim's, my neighborhood Korean dry cleaners. In the morning before work, I would lug my heavy overstuffed laundry bag and place it on Kim's scale and have it weighed. "You make more dirty laundry this week Ms. Lareo", Kim would remarkably notice and comment. "Well Kim, it's the sheets, they weigh a lot", I would reply.
I would later return in the evening to find that my heavy overstuffed laundry bag, was now a compact, nicely folded, freshly scented stack of clothes+sheets.
 5 years later, I have now become a "Laundry Queen". Running a Bed+Breakfast is synonymous with laundry. To be more specific,white sheets...lots of white sheets! I have discovered that hanging sheets  on a laundry line can be very therapeutic. The flapping of crisp white sheets in the air, the clean fresh scent, the cheeriness and elegance of the color white, actually makes me happy. What I once thought might be a tedious chore, has now become a nice routine. Who knew!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment